Pump Stations 199 and 200 were designed to replace water to the lower everglades from the C-111 Canal under the Everglades Restoration Program. The pump stations were built inside a steel sheet pile cofferdam at a bottom elevation of -27 feet below sea level. The stations required that a 11 foot thick concrete tremie seal be placed inside the cofferdam prior to construction to seal the water table. The cofferdams are 53 feet by 75 feet thus approximately 1600 cubic yards of concrete were required to be placed for each site just to seal the bottom of the cofferdam.
After the tremie seals were cured, the construction of the actual pump stations began. The bottom slab for each station is 4 foot 6 inches thick with the chamber walls 2 foot 6 inches thick.
Inside each pump station, equipment was installed at the influent chamber to separate and remove the trash that may be floating in the water. This is to keep trash from entering into the pump chambers and clogging the pumps.
There are three pump chambers, each equipped with a 200 HP electric pump with a 42 inch discharge port which creates a 33,300 gallon per minute discharge. With all three pumps running at full speed, the station can discharge 100,000 gallons of water per minute.
The stations are equipped with standby generators with propane gas supplies to power the pumps should an outage be caused by storms or other power interruptions. The pump stations are controlled by the South Florida Water Management District from the Palm Beach Headquarters by using remote telemetry controls at each station.
The pump stations are controlled by the South Florida Water Management District from the Palm Beach Headquarters by using remote telemetry controls at each station.